Monday, April 27, 2009

What I have learned this semester . . . .

This semester has challenged me in visual theory and in practice. I had very little knowledge of visual theory when the class first began. As the class continued I began to implement many of the concepts into my projects. Use of vectors and color representation were used heavily in my projects. I actually began incorporating color into my avatar before we discussed it in class. I understood--after we read about the concept--that I needed to continue in my use of black and red and also use it more frequently.

This semester challenged me in learning various software programs. I had no knowledge of Photoshop and movie software. The MovieMaker software was simple; I caught on to that quickly. With Photoshop I feel like I have a solid footing with the program and can do what I need to. With Dreameaver, I had used it before but this semester, the program frustrated me because I could not do what I wanted to do with it. I feel I was able to adapt and now have a basic knowledge of the program for future use.

At one of our STC, Bobby Rettew spoke about his time in the MAPC program and how it has helped him in his current career. He said that he appreciated the ability he now has to learn software quickly. So although more instruction in the programs would have been helpful, I understand that being able to learn software quickly can help me succeed in my future career. Different companies use different software and now I feel that I have the basics of what I might be asked to do in the future.

As far as the film, I was totally intimidated by it. I didn't know how I was going to complete the project and assumed it would take me hours to produce 30 seconds. I surprised myself and thoroughly enjoyed writing my script, filming the footage and putting the pieces together.

One of the biggest challenges for me this semester was learning how to express an abstract idea in concrete visual way. I had to learn visual concepts quickly in order to be successful in my expression of fear.

0 comments: